Monday 25 July 2011

The Passenger

7:49” I said to myself.  The night train was right on time.  I climbed the steel stairs, still feeling the effects of the absinthe, brandy and wine, I knew that I shouldn’t have had so much to drink.
I couldn’t see them, but I knew that they were there; spirits moving in the steam, still chasing me. I quickly boarded the train, hiding from the moonlight. The compartment was forest green. I made my way to my room and fell on to the bed. I felt the rattling of the rails, and was lulled into a dream.


I woke up to light of the full moon. The sky was cloudy, there were no stars. I had been asleep mere minutes before I was awoken again. I waited the oncoming daylight.


I disembarked the train at another strange town. It wasn’t long before I found my way to the nearest bar and broke down; I knew in the back of my mind that I couldn’t run forever. I knew that they were going to catch me.


That night, I saw myself reflected in the clear counter. It was a different reflection than what I had seen in the dinner car the night before. I didn’t know who I was anymore, nobody did.


On the way back to my room, I could see the other passengers. When I finally made it back to my room, I heard the faint weeping of the woman in the cabin next to me. They must be following her to too.


The next few days were a complete blur. I started forgetting things, my job, my family, my name. I also noticed that my things started disappearing. On each trip, my bag got significantly lighter, but I couldn’t tell exactly what I was missing.


I arrived at what I knew was the final station. I couldn’t see my reflection or feel the beating of my own heart. There was only one other person here. The station was quiet, nothing was moving. There were no trains, no people and it was in that instant I knew I would never see another face again.


I raised my hand up to my face and felt nothing. I couldn’t feel anything. My emotions were gone. I was gone.

1 comment: